Based in Taipei, Taiwan
Oct 27, 2020
Carto is a charming adventure game wrapped around a unique, world-altering puzzle mechanic. Use this power to explore mysterious lands, help a quirky cast of characters, and guide Carto on her journey back to her family.
Carto is developed in Taiwan by a core team of four, with a couple of remore contractors. The project starts from September 2016 and the game was released in October 27, 2020.
- Employ a unique puzzle and exploration mechanic: rearrange pieces of your map, and watch the world change around you!
- Chill out and explore peaceful-yet-mysterious lands across a 5-7 hour story
- Meet a colorful cast of characters and learn about their unique cultures
- Bask in lush, hand-drawn visuals across a variety of biomes
- Experience a beautiful soundtrack with over 30 original tracks to accompany you on your adventure
Launch Trailer YouTube
Release Date Trailer YouTube
Announcement Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "IGF - Excellence in Design Honorable Mentions" 2019
- "Experimental Gameplay Workshop - Official Selection" 2019
- "BitSummit - Visual Excellence Award" 2018
- "Indieplay Awards - Excellence in Game Design" 2020
- "Indieplay Awards - Best Game Grand Prize Nominee" 2020
- "Indieplay Awards - Best Narrative Nominee" 2020
- "Shacknews - Best Puzzle Game of 2020" 2020
- "Day of the Devs: GDC Edition - Official Selection" 2019
- "Day of the Devs - Official Selection" 2018
- "GDC Indie MEGABOOTH Showcase - Official Selection" 2018
- "Taipei Game Show - Official Selection" 2018
- "The MIX Indie Showcase At TGDF - Official Selection" 2018
- "TGDF Indie Space - Official Selection" 2018
- "The mechanic is so clever I'm surprised it's never been quite done like this"
- Papa Niero, Destructoid
- "It’s the ideal game for sitting curled up in 20 blankets and drinking tea while solving some map puzzles"
- Julia Lee, Polygon
- "Carto is a unique masterpiece that is the epitome of charm"
- Alex Harding, Switchaboo
- "It just really makes for a feel-good experience overall, with everything about Carto’s world coming together nicely to put a big smile on player’s faces"
- Sam, Use A Potion!
- "Carto delivers a certain flavor of indie game that’s thoroughly pleasant"
- Graham Russell, Siliconera
Carto OST - Bandcamp
Relive the best moments of the journey of Carto with this soundtrack composed by Eddie Yu. soymilkmusic.bandcamp.com.
Carto OST - Steam
Relive the best moments of the journey of Carto with this soundtrack composed by Eddie Yu. store.steampowered.com.
About Sunhead Games
Sunhead Games is a Taiwan-based independent game studio founded in 2012, responsible for A Ride into the Mountains, The Swords, and Carto. Currently a 4-person team, they seek to create unique games with passion and an independent spirit.
More information on Sunhead Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Director, Game Designer
Kuan Hung Chen
Composer, Sound Designer
Writer, Business Development